•4 min read
Ayurvedic Tips to Treat Insomnia and Sleeplessness
If you're having trouble sleeping, don't feel well-rested even after a slumber, wake up in the middle of the night, and can't fall back asleep. A very common sleep disorder, Insomnia might be the reason. Ayurveda has a cure for everything. With adequate diet, proper rest, and stress management, sleeplessness or insomnia can be treated. It is termed as Anindra or Nindranasha in Ayurveda.Whenever there is an imbalance in the body’s doshas, there are most likely to be sleeping problems and mental disorders. A major factor contributing to the sleep disturbance is an aggravated Vata and pitta along with bad lifestyle habits.Vata imbalance, make people hard to fall asleep, makes them toss and turn and the mind keeps wandering around. It ultimately results in lethargy, weakness, anxiety, and tension. Pitta imbalance, cause intermittent awakening during sleep, because of fear, anger, sadness, heart palpitation, and body pain. You may even have difficulty falling back asleep.
With reduced energy levels throughout the day, a bad mood, and poor work performance, Insomnia has effects of decreasing the quality of life.Symptoms of insomnia may include:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up during the night
- Trouble falling back asleep
- Tiredness and fatigue
- Morning sleepiness and tiredness
- Irritability, malaise, anger, depression, and anxiety
- Losing focus and concentration
- Body aches and heaviness in the body
- Fatal accidents
If untreated, lack of good sleep can cause major health problems like diabetes, hypertension, heart diseases, weight gain, digestive problems, and mental problems
Ayurvedic Treatment for Insomnia
There are many natural and ayurvedic ways to get rid of sleeplessness and improve the quality of sleep. A good night’s sleep helps boost the immune system, maintain energy levels throughout the day, and help get rid of physical and mental stresses.These Ayurvedic health tips would help control sleeplessness:
- Maintaining a daily sleep schedule - Sleeping at the same time every day helps your body to get accustomed to sleeping at that particular time and hence overcome sleeping disorders
- Eating correct food at the correct time - Avoid heavy meals before hitting the hay. The body takes at least 4 hours to digest the food and all of the body’s heat and energy is focused on digestion only. One should eat before the sun sets.
- Abhyanga or self-oil massage - Massaging with warm oil helps the body and the mind to calm down and relax. It even promises better sleep at night
- Pranayams - Doing a few breathing exercises before going to bed relaxes the body, calms the mind, and slows down the heart rate. Pranayams like Anulom-vilom, Brahmari, and Belly breathing are effective in promoting quality sleep at night
- Asanas - Before calling it a day, taking out a few minutes to relax your body with a calming and rejuvenating yoga session, can induce better sleep and make you feel energetic the next day.
- Standing Forward Bend (Uttanasana)
- Plow Pose (Halasana)
- Child Pose (Shishuasana)
- Legs Up The Wall Pose (Viparita Karani)
- Corpse Pose (Savasana)
- Reclining Butterfly (Supta Baddha Konasana)
- Ayurvedic herbs - Natural herbs have been used for centuries for the treatment of sleeplessness and insomnia. Here are a few ayurvedic herbs that would help you with a good and relaxing slumber.
- Brahmi: It is a powerful and strong brain tonic that helps holistic mental health ailments. It relaxes the body and hence has the potential to cure insomnia.
- Vacha: For ages, it has been used in the treatment of various mental diseases like epilepsy, anxiety, and depression.
- Ashwagandha: It is an overall medicinal herb or tonic for stamina, longevity, strength, and mental disorders. According to Ayurveda it coordinates the mind and reduces anxiety and stress and helps in sleeping properly.
- Jatamansi: It is a sedative an antidepressant, anti-epileptic, and helps in sleeping disorders.
- Valerian: It rejuvenates the whole body. It promotes good sleep and reduces the stress and tension in the body
Note from Ayurheals
Ayurveda is for the mind-body-soul and Ayurveda is for you. Get every ayurvedic medicine at amazing and competitive prices. Explore our website and discover the amazing power of Ayurveda at best price with Ayurheals.